Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 17 - Tempeh Tuesdays - Thai larb salad


Making a Thai larb salad has been on my wish list ever since I sampled an unforgettable version at the Thai Vegan stall in the Fremantle markets during my travels earlier this year. It hasn't been the type of weather for salads since then, so when we had a short burst of warm weather a couple of weeks ago it was good enough reason to give this meal a try. Tofu had been my initial choice of protein when I first thought about making this meal but after all the success I've been having with tempeh recently I figured it could also work well with the strong flavours in this salad.

I looked at many recipes online as I wasn't impressed that the recipe in my copy of Thai Food by David Thompson omitted lemongrass. I distinctly recalled this flavour from the salad at Thai Vegan as well as in other larb salads I had eaten in Thailand years ago. Every recipe I looked up seemed to have one thing or another missing and in the end I wrote out the ingredients I believed should be components and followed my gut instinct.

This was a sensational meal bursting with flavours from the garlic, shallots, chillies, lemongrass, lime juice, Thai thin soy sauce, mint and coriander. It wasn't as perfect as I hoped due to both my local Asian supermarket and green grocer selling out of Thai basil that day which is my favourite herb that is used in Thai food. I longed for some of it's aniseed flavour and also regretted being a little heavy handed with the lime juice. With my notes on hand I'm sure it will be spot on next time at which point I will post the recipe. Another wonderful thing about this meal was that it was another tempeh win so it's been 3 out of 3 so far with only one more Tempeh Tuesday to go!


12 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever had a Thai larb salad - but your flavours sound spot on to me - though I never cook with thai basil so perhaps I should give it a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, larb salads aren't as well known as the more popular Thai papaya salads but the flavours are quite similar. Thai basil has such a unique aniseedy flavour and is a wonderful addition to Thai curries, stir-frys and salads. It's one of my favourite herbs!

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad all your tempeh recipes are turning out so well - it gives me hope I can overcome my tempeh phobia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, I'm glad the tempeh recipes have been successful too given my apprehension at the start of the month. If I can overcome the tempeh phobia anyone can - there is definitely hope for you!

      Delete
  3. Yum! I think mint and Thai basil would be great to add to mine as well! Looking forward to your recipe! And that vegan Thai stall sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ketty, I loved how you added noodles to your salad and your mushroom - soy mince mixture sounds like a great idea too! The vegan Thai stall was the best food I've eaten since going to Thailand - I just wish we had something this good in Melbourne!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your tempeh experiments are going well! I think I need to make Thai larb salad. You're the second blogger I follow to post about it in a short period of time. It sounds like everything I like. I'll look forward to seeing your final recipe once you get it perfected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cadry, it was quite funny to see Ketty's larb salad post on the same day! Larb salads are so full of fresh flavours and make lovely light meals for warm nights.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful larb! I've been meaning to make some since my friend (a vegan) lived in Thailand and raved about the vegan version he could get close to his house. Yay for your tempeh experiment working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jes, the salads in Thailand are incredible and that's coming from someone who is not usually much of a salad eater. Yay for another tempeh win!

      Delete
  6. What a great looking salad - and you have reminded me larb salad is still on my list of things to try, and quite high up there given my enjoyment of Thai papaya salad. I visited that Thai stall in Fremantle last month but just got their rice paper rolls (which were excellent) - I'll have to go back and try the salad and then have a go at home creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, I'm so pleased that you have enjoyed a visit to Thai Vegan and that you liked their rice paper rolls. I do recommend trying one of their salads if you are in the area, I'm sure you would enjoy their papaya salad as well as the larb.

      Delete