Saturday, September 14, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 14 - Sweet Saturdays - Choc-banana cheesecake slice


Several weeks ago I received an email from the man containing a link to a recipe - this was a total shock as I don't think he hasn't ever sent me a recipe via email before. His food requests usually come verbally and are repeats that he loves. Prior to looking at the recipe I decided that I would come through with the goods regardless of how I felt about making it. After clicking on the link I was excited that the recipe was for a chocolate banana cheesecake slice as I've never made a cheesecake, vegan or otherwise, in my life before.

One thing that was unusual about this recipe (to me anyway) was that the bananas were cooked in the oven while the base was being cooked. Apparently this is to intensify the flavour of the bananas yet we thought the banana was rather subtle in the slice so I'm not so sure about this theory. The cooked bananas were totally black on the outside after being roasted yet the banana flash within was still it's usual colour and bit softer in texture.


The slice was a big success with everyone at home, myself included, which means that it wasn't overly sweet (in case you are new to my blog, I don't have a very sweet tooth). I was requested to use Sweet William dairy-free chocolate rather than dark chocolate that was stated in the recipe which made the slice slightly less rich than it would have been with a dark chocolate. It was intended to be topped with chopped roasted almonds which isn't the most popular topping choice with my fellows so we all agreed that strawberries were an equally good option. This recipe is a keeper and one that definitely will be seen around here again.


Choc-banana cheesecake slice (Adapted from Frank Camorra's recipe on goodfood.com.au)

Anzac biscuit base
100g plain flour
90g brown sugar
60g rolled oats
50g desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon sea salt
80g dairy-free margarine
20g golden syrup
2/3 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Topping
2 bananas
250g vegan chocolate (I used Sweet William dairy-free, use dark chocolate if you prefer)
400g tofutti better than cream cheese
150g brown sugar
A punnet of strawberries, cut into halves
Icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square dish with baking paper, allowing the paper to come up the sides then grease lightly with some margarine or olive oil spray.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, oats, coconut and salt. Place the dairy-free margarine and golden syrup in a small saucepan and heat gently until the margarine has melted. Add the bicarbonate of soda which will make the mixture foamy, then remove from the heat. Stir the contents of the saucepan into the bowl containing the dry ingredients thoroughly then press this mixture into the lined dish. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden and crisp.

Cook the bananas in the oven at the same time as the Anzac base, then remove and allow them to cool down. Peel the bananas and place them into a food processor along with cream cheese and process until the mixture is smooth. Add sugar and continue processing until smooth, scraping down the sides a few times to incorporate all of the ingredients. Melt the chocolate in a microwave or in a heatproof bowl, placed over simmering water, stirring occasionally. Add the melted chocolate to the food processor and scrape down the sides so it mixes evenly.

Spread this onto the cooled biscuit base and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours. After the slice has set, use the baking paper to lift it out of the dish. Cut the slice into square pieces, top each piece with a halved strawberry and dust lightly with icing sugar. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

14 comments:

  1. Looks amazing- I am bookmarking all your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I'm so glad to hear that! Hope you enjoy them... :)

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious! I'm glad it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cadry, not everything has been working out lately but this one definitely did!

      Delete
  3. sounds delicious and I love the presentation with the strawberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, it's been lovely to have strawberries in the fridge at the moment and they seemed to be a perfect match for this.

      Delete
  4. the strawberry looks so good on top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks India, I was happy with the strawberry topping too!

      Delete
  5. YUMMMM! Def going to try that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, it's not as healthy as your sweets but it's worth the indulgence...

      Delete
  6. Oh yum - approved! Do you reckon silken tofu would work instead of cream cheese? I'm out of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, I've seen vegan cheesecake recipes around that use silken tofu so it definitely could work but I have no experience making them. It could be worth investigating for a lighter less processed version.

      Delete
  7. Thanks must go to your man for the idea for this - but then to you for making it. This is completely my kind of dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, I agree that he gets the kudos for instigating this and I hope it gives him reason to request things more often. It wasn't as much effort as some of the other sweets I had in mind to try too!

      Delete