Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 11 - Worldly Wednesdays - Stopover 30 - Uruguay

I was pretty excited when Uruguay turned out to be the next stopover on my virtual trip around the world as I haven't had the chance to cover many South American countries so far. The traditional cuisine of Uruguay is based on European roots, particularly Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany and Britain as well as influences from African and indigenous sources. Uruguayan barbecues, known as asado, are well known around the world. This is also a popular style of cooking in the neighbouring country Argentina.


After searching through my cookbooks I came across a couple of dishes that sounded like they would pair well together, a pie called Torta Pasculina in World Vegetarian Classics and Tempeh asado in Viva Vegan. Tempeh asado was the first tempeh dish I ever made and the only dish from Viva Vegan that I haven't been particularly fond of so I was keen to give it another try using tofu instead.

The original version of Torta Pasculina which is also known as Easter Torte comes from Liguria, Italy. The Italian filo covered pie is usually filled with Swiss chard or artichokes. The Uruguayan/Argentinean version in World Vegetarian Classics contains spinach, marinated red capsicums, olives, parmesan cheese and eggs and uses a shortcrust pastry. I had planned to make a pretty slack replacement for parmesan by throwing in a heap of nooch plus some salt and finally break open my packet of the Vegg to use as an egg replacement.

A number of things went wrong during the making of this pie. The shortcrust pastry I've successfully made before didn't hold together when it was being rolled out so I had to pull some puff pastry sheets out of the freezer to use instead. In the cookbook version of this pie the eggs were broken into indentations made on the top of the filling. I've had no experience with using the Vegg before and and for some reason I was under the illusion that the Veggs would set in the pie when it was baked. When the pie was cut after being baked in the oven the Vegg mixture ran everywhere and made quite a mess!


I didn't hold much hope for this meal given all of my tribulations but by this stage it was late and everyone was ravenous. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise when the pie actually tasted great. The saltiness of the olives paired with the sweet marinated capsicums worked really well together and it wasn't just our hunger talking as the leftovers were just as enjoyable. The tofu asado was much nicer than the tempeh version I don't have fond memories of although there are other recipes in Viva Vegan that hold more appeal for me.



Did you know?

The national anthem of Uruguay is the longest in duration of any country in the world. Orientales, la Patria o la Tumba contains 105 bars of music with a duration of approximately 6 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. I've never cooked with Vegg before, but I've seen lots of people raving about it. I thought it would have set too! Still, it does look really tasty - those greens would make a fast exit from my plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, I read many rave reviews of the Vegg before I tracked it down and then it sat in my pantry for a while as I couldn't decide how I wanted to use it. I love my greens too!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love it when a seeming disaster turns out good! YOur pastry looks delicious.
    India Leigh
    www.aveganobsession.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks India, I was relieved it turned out in the end but would have been happier if my own attempt at pastry hadn't failed. Puff pastry in the freezer in a godsend sometimes!

      Delete
  3. What a fortunate outcome with you all sitting ravenous waiting for dinner! I will confess to smiling at the photo with the 'eggs' but the top image looks very appealing and I like the idea of serving it with the tofu alongside. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, there was a bit of snacking to compensate for the late meal. ;) I had really been looking forward to making this dish so I was rather annoyed when I had so many problems with it. I'm glad you liked the shot of the "eggs", they do look very realistic which is why I took this photo.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm, flaky pastry.... That Vegg looks so real, it's crazy. I'm glad the meal tasted good in the end. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luminiousvegans, there's nothing better than food wrapped in pastry! The Vegg tastes pretty similar to how I remember egg yolks - it's perfect for dunking pieces of toast into.

      Delete
  5. This looks such a tasty and filling meal. I like the asado marinade from VV!, not that I have used it with tempeh. And the pie looks so good! Shame about the runny Vegg - I have a sachet in my pantry, unused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandee, I don't mind the asado marinade from VV but there are other meals in there that wow me more. Hope you get your Vegg out soon, it's a fun product to play with.

      Delete
  6. looks interesting - wonder what vegg tastes like - I really never liked the taste of egg but quite like tofu egg substitute dishes - and I too find that recipes can be fickle and work one day - glad you had some puff pastry on hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, the Vegg does taste a lot like egg yolk if my memory serves me right and the texture is similar too. I tried some of the leftover mixture heated up with a bit of salt and pepper while I was waiting for dinner. ;)

      I'm not sure why but I always have better luck with sweet pastry rather than shortcrust - puff pastry is always good to have on hand!

      Delete