Saturday, October 13, 2012

Vegan MoFo - Speedy bookmarked meals


If you are anything like me, your recipe bookmarks will have grown madly since the start of October. There have been so many fantastic recipes and ideas shared during Vegan MoFo already and there is still over half of the month remaining! During the nights I've had off my country theme cooking, I turned to a couple of easy meals I had bookmarked over the last couple of weeks and put them to the test.

First up was a Mac n Cheese recipe from Chloe's Kitchen which I read about on omgoshimvegan. I haven't tried many of these types of recipes and we haven't enjoyed the baked versions I've made but this one looked so nice and creamy, the ingredients sounded good and it was a speedy dinner which was just what I wanted. I loved that it included broccoli florets as I normally include them in creamy pasta dishes. I only made half the quantity of the recipe which was more than enough for the three of us and also added a few broad beans as we really enjoy them in pasta. This bowl of pasta tasted great and restored my faith in Mac n Cheese, it was very creamy and had a nice cheesy flavour.


It's no secret that I love tofu scramble and have been blogging about them a bit recently. Fellow Australian blogger Erin of Meet the Wikos tofu scramble caught my eye with her Aussie twist of adding the indigenous herb lemon myrtle as I had never used it before. I also loved how it was served on roasted tomatoes and the only change I made to this was to fry a few mushrooms in with the tofu. The man and I really enjoyed this meal, it was packed full of lemony flavour and the fresh thyme paired perfectly. The young man wasn't so keen on it although he is pretty picky when it comes to scrambles. Now that I have lemon myrtle in the pantry, I've been thinking of a few other ways I would like to use it.

I'm happy to have found a couple of quick tasty meals I will definitely make again in the future and am looking forward to trying out some more of the delicious recipes I have bookmarked!


10 comments:

  1. arghghgh a fab looking mac-cheese recipe that I can't have because I'm off flours and pasta! Bookmarked though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind, save it for when you can indulge, it's worth it for a speedy meal!

      Delete
  2. that pasta sauce sounds great for the mac and cheese - I saw the scramble too and thought the idea of lemon myrtle was interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pasta sauce was great and a really easy meal too. I loved the lemon myrtle in the scramble, I didn't have a good enough reason to buy it previously.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have bookmarks a' plenty! I've been tagging them with VeganMoFo2012 so I remember which ones are new :)

    I can't wait to try this Mac N Cheese, I've been eyeing it but can't skipping it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my bookmarks organised too, the sad thing is I still have so many from last year I never got around to trying.

      Now that you have Chloe's book, you should definitely give the Mac n Cheese a try!

      Delete
  4. I love finding new recipes during MoFo--that mac n' cheeze and scrambled tofu toasts looks amazing! (I mean, pretty much anything on toast gets my vote!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding new recipes too although I tend to get little overwhelmed during MoFo. I'm a big toast fan too!

      Delete
  5. These bookmark round ups are a very good idea - I've been pinning the odd recipe I've liked on Pinterest, but there's something about having the lists in front of you that makes a lot more sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to keep track of everything that's going on, such a busy month! I haven't set up a Pinterest account yet as I'm concerned it will eat up too much of my time.

      Delete